What is a 5-Axis CNC Machining Center?
A 5-axis CNC machining center is a multi-functional machine that can process multiple aspects of workpiece in the same procedure, including milling, drilling, tapping, etc. The “CNC” means the “Computer Numerical Control” and the “5-Axis” means there’re five separated linear axes called X, Y, Z, A, C-axis on this machine. The rotary table set on the worktable or saddle can rotate around the X-axis and C-axis which are defined as the A-axis (tilting axis) and C-axis (rotary axis). The minimum division value of A-axis and C-axis is generally 0.001 degrees, so that the workpiece can be subdivided into any angle, and inclined surfaces, inclined holes, etc. can be processed. In this way, through the combination of A-axis and C-axis, the workpiece fixed on the rotary table can be processed from the five side and directions by the vertical spindle, except for the bottom surface.
The Advantages of a 5-Axis
- Can process multiple shapes of workpiece in a single set-up, raising productivity and efficiency.
- Can achieve higher accuracy since the workpiece does not move across multiple workstations.
- Can save time and money with less fixture cost and preparation.
- Can use shorter cutting tools for higher cutting speed and less tool vibrations.
- Can bring workpiece closer to cutting tools to gain better surface finishing.
The Applications of a 5-Axis CNC Machining Center
Ares Seiki has devoted developing such multi-functional of A5X series of 5-Axis machining centers for many years. Those machining centers have been a game-changer and created infinite possibilities in the metalworking industry. Such as:
- 3C products like computer, communication, and consumer electronics manufacturing industry.
- Aviation industry.